Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BBB Beer of the Week: Sam Adams Winter Lager

Happy New Year readers out there! With the new year comes a semi-new Baltimore Bistros and Beer. I'm going to try this thing out called organization. Instead of haphazardly posting whenever the blog spirit compels me, I'm going to stick to a schedule. Wednesday is going to be "Beer of the Week" day. I made a New Year's Resolution about this, so you know it's legit! The idea is straight forward. I'll drink a beer and then I'll tell you what I think about it. It'll be the same format as what I previously dubbed "Beer Tastings". So, with the boring introduction behind us, let's move on to our first Beer of the Week, Sam Adams Winter Lager.

I've had quite a few of since we moved from fall to winter so I feel like I have a pretty good feel for this one.



Appearance: Winter Lager is a very good looking beer. If I were a little younger I'd definitely make a move on this beauty. Basically, it looks like a slightly darker Irish Red with a very pretty amber brown that comes across as extremely inviting from the get go .

Nose: There isn't a whole lot going on here aromatically, but the sweet malty caramel smell that does come through smells delicious. It might be simple, but the smell is no less exciting.

Taste: In the land of Lagers, Winter Lager is one of the more flavorful I've come across. Up front I notice a bit of spice that makes the taste buds dance a bit. The initial spice hit is followed by very clean malt sweetness that moves on to a subtle citrus finish. Sam Adams Winter Lager is an easy drinking beer but one that has more than enough body to satisfy you on a cold night.

Style: Lager
ABV: 5.6
IBU: 22

Final Verdict: I can't find any reason to suggest you should pass this one up. It's simple but delicious, and since it's rather easy to come across in stores this is a great Winter Beer to get your hands on if you're looking to dabble into some colder weather beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment