Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Verde Pizza Napoletana

About two weeks ago I discussed the pizza at Verde Pizza Napoletana as part of The Great Baltimore Pizza Pursuit 2013. In short, the pizza was great. Today, I'll be discussing the restaurant and our visit as a whole.


As good as the pizza was Deana and I weren't overly thrilled with the rest our night. Despite making reservations, we waited well over 30 minutes before we were finally seated. I wasn't shocked that there was a bit of a wait to be seated given that it was the final weekend of Baltimore Restaurant Week, but 30 minutes is a bit extreme when you've reserved a table. And the worst part of that 30 minutes was being forced to squish into the front of the restaurant with everyone else who was waiting for a seat.

The building itself is very narrow with the tables very close to one another. I don't know if it was the fact that I had 84 people in my personal space during our wait, but the close proximity to the other tables was somewhat off putting. With that said, if you are lucky enough to be seated in the back half of the restaurant you have a view into the kitchen where you can see your pizza's being put together and cooked in the brick oven.


At the end of the night, after we had finished our appetizers and pizza, we had to wait quite a while for them to bring our dessert (we ordered it at the beginning of the night as part of the 3 course restaurant week thing). After 10 or 15 minutes of sitting around waiting our dessert was finally delivered.....and then we had to wait just as long to get our check. By the time we left there, it was no longer a guessing game as to why we had to wait 30 minutes for a table despite making reservations. The wait staff just wasn't efficient with their time. Yes, every single table was taken. Yes, it was restaurant week. But the restaurant is tiny and they had food runners. Why the waiter delays were what they were was beyond me.

Now, despite the tone of this review being negative there was a lot to like about Verde. If you read the review of the pizza alone, I spoke very highly of it. It was delicious. And the owner was more than friendly making two different appearances at our table to make sure our food came out tasting good. I appreciated that. For the pizza alone, I would go back to Verde Pizza Napoletana (and I highly recommend you try it yourself at least once). But given the long waits I'd have to endure and the somewhat awkward dining room layout, I don't know how often I see myself being a repeat customer.

Price: Middle of the Road
Recommendation: You have to visit this place at least once for the pie alone.
What to Order: Pizza Margherita

  Verde Pizza Napoletana on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment