Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Recipes That Don't Suck: Chili

A few months back I posted my recipe for Sriracha Thai Chile Hot Wings. Since then, thanks to the power of the Internet and it's ability to snoop, I've found that quite a few people found their way to this blog via searches for Thai Hot Wings. Well, I like when people read what I write so I decided that I should add more recipes into the mix. So, without further adieu, welcome to Recipes That Don't Suck.

The first non-sucky recipe I'm sharing with you shall be none other than my almighty chili. I love chili. Over the years, I've messed with different recipes looking for things I like and adding my own twists to make them mine. This recipe in particular represents the straight forward spicy chili my tastebuds love so much with a little homage to the first chili recipe I ever used (my Grandma's).


Dish: Chili That Doesn't Suck

Serves: 4-6 Bowls depending on how big your bowls are. Mine are ginormous, so I usually get 4.5


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb of Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion
  • Garlic (as much or as little as you'd like)
  • 6 - 8 Tomatoes
  • 1 Can of Campbell's Tomato Soup
  • 2-3 Jalapenos
  • 1 Can of Beans (Black, Kidney, Pinto. The choice is yours, but beans are NOT optional)
  • 3-4 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon of Cumin
The thing to remember about this recipe is that it's completely up to your taste. If you like a lot of onion use a lot. If you like less, guess what, use less. As far as the tomatoes go, I wouldn't go less than 6 as the chili might end up becoming too thick. And if you go over 8 tomatoes you will probably end up with a chili that is a little too soupy. The key is to make the recipe your own. My special touch is the Cambell's Tomato Soup. You could easily just use a little tomato sauce or salsa instead, but the Tomato soup makes me think of my Grandma and the recipe she passed down to me a few years back. 

So, you're going to make this recipe yours, right? Well, I'm laying down the law on two very important items. First, Ground Turkey is not an acceptable substitute. It tastes and looks like the white dog crap that Will Ferrell licked in Step Brothers. If you want this to be a healthier meal (which I do as well), just buy lean ground beef and thank me later. Second, Beans are not optional. They taste good, add a nice texture, and my grandma and mom both used them in their recipes so you have to as well! So there! If you want to disagree with me, well, go and find the recipe for Chili That Sucks....cause this is Chili That Doesn't Suck.

Instructions:

  • Chop up all your vegetables. Onions and Tomatoes in big 1 inch chunks. Jalapenos in rings.

  • Brown Meat
  • Add all ingredients to the pot with the browned meat except for the beans. Stir to mix it together.
  • Pop the lid on and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
  • Add Beans. Simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Eat and Rejoice
As you can see up above, the chili starts out looking VERY thick. The first time I made this I was worried it would end up a chunky chili. But fret not, my friends, for I come bearing gifts of delicious chili. Eventually, after all the simmering has done it's magic you'll have a chili that is flavorful, spicy, and best of all Doesn't Suck! Give it a try and let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment