Monday, March 18, 2013

Elkridge Furnace Inn

Elkridge Furnace Inn is quite a bit different from the average restaurant I review in the sense that it's very formal. You don't feel like you're eating in a restaurant. Rather, you feel like you are visiting someone at their house. Albeit, a very nice house and one in which there are waiters dressed in formal attire and the basement is stocked with an endless supply of delicious wines. If you're ever looking to step your game up on the date front this is a great place to take someone. It's quiet, intimate, and truly unique compared to most other places in the area.

The night we visited the Furnace Inn I decided to try one of my favorites in French Onion soup and I also ventured from the familiar and tried rabbit for the first time. Deana went with a Pork Chop.


The soup was excellent. Not to toot my own horn (toot toot), but it reminded me very much of the recipe I use for French Onion. The crock was filled to the brim with carmalized onions and the broth had notes of wine in each spoonful. The sweet/tart grape flavor was a nice contrast to the saltier beef stock. And of course it was topped off with ooey gooey cheese that was melted under the broiler. I think the crunchy cheese bits on top of a good French Onion are one of the best bites this world has to offer. As someone who orders plenty of this soup I can say that their interpretation is one of the best around. 


My rabbit, while I'm glad I tried it, it's not something I think I'll find myself ordering again anytime soon. Of course, that is of no fault of the chef. I think I'm just not a huge fan of rabbit itself. The texture came across as chewy chicken. I don't remember exactly what was in the sauce, but it reminded me of a more complex and well rounded version of sweet and sour sauce. The mix of vegetables was probably my favorite part of the meal. There were carrots, peppers, and a variety of tender potatoes that made me plenty happy.


Deana's pork chop was excellent. There was a lot less going on with her dinner compared to my rabbit dish, but that's not to say it was any less flavorful. The pork chop was HUGE and topped with a rich glaze that made going in for followup bites very easy. Whether your stomach wanted you to or not, this was one pork chop that was going to be finished if your taste buds had any say in the matter. On the side they served tender broccolini and sweet potatoes with candied pecans. The sweet potatoes were the best part of our dinner.  As a certified pecan junky I could have had a plate of nothing but sweet potatoes. 

Overall, our visit to the Elkridge Furnace Inn was excellent. The staff was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about their menu. As I mentioned before, the atmosphere is unique, and while this isn't a place I think I'd find myself wanting to visit monthly due to a menu that is a bit pricey, it's a great place to celebrate a special occasion. 

Price: Expensive
Recommendation: Keep them in mind for special occasions
What to Order: Their menu is seasonal, but I believe the French Onion soup is offered year round. 

Elkridge Furnace Inn on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment