Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Beer Tastings: Newcastle Werewolf

I wouldn't have guessed it beforehand (and after reading a few other not so thrilled online reviews I'm starting to wonder if my palate was out of sorts that night) but Newcastle Werewolf is easily my favorite fall beer that I've tried for the first time this year (not all time).


On the taste front you get a slightly dry drinking beer with a touch of fruit flavor and delicious chocolate notes. It's completely original from anything else I've tried that would be considered a fall seasonal.

If I'm being honest, I'm not sure I'd classify this beer as a fall beer on a blind taste test (kind of reads more wintery in my mind for whatever that's worth). However, what I found most fun and what really brought Werewolf all together for me was the awesome color it pours. You can't fully appreciate it via the picture above, but Werewolf pours the coolest brownish red tint I've ever seen. It really lived up to the "Blood Red Ale" they post on the label. I hate when I hear them use this word on Food Network, but I found Werewolf to be quite whimsical and I really enjoyed that.

So, there you have it. Newcastle Werewolf is a totally unique fall beer that doesn't seem to take itself too seriously and is something you can really sit back and have fun with. If you see it shelves, be sure to pick this one up. This would be a great gateway beer to get some of your friends to try something other than Miller Lite.

Style: Red Ale
ABV: 5.0
IBU: ?

No comments:

Post a Comment