Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Beer Tastings: Flying Dog Dogtoberfest

Well, why don't we just hop from one Maryland beer to another? And while we're in season, why not talk about another Fall Beer? Flying Dog Dogtoberfest is today's beer. 
 
 
Dogtoberfest is okay. I feel bad just coming out and saying it's nothing better than okay because I really wanted to like this beer. It's a fall beer and it's local. Right off the bat my bias is in full effect and it shouldn't be very hard for me to be excited about this. Unfortunately, Flying Dog just didn't do it for me with this one.
 
Dogtoberfest pours a crystal clear copper color that really hits home on the fall vibe. But that's about all the excitement I could muster. Tastewise it's just way too sweet up front. They almost save it with a fairly substantial hop finish, but no matter how many times I revisited this one (4 beers) hoping my palate might have adjusted over time, I couldn't get over the initial sweetness. I was looking for a toasted or roasted malt flavor somewhere in there to show that lives up to the Oktoberfest style, but it just never happened for me. It pains me to say it, but if you're asking me for a Fall beer suggestion Dogtoberfest isn't the one. 

Style: Marzen
ABV: 5.3
IBU: 30

No comments:

Post a Comment