Thursday, November 15, 2012

Homebrewing: American Cream Ale

Well, it looks like I better get to this post while I still have a beer or two left. I wanted to be sure to give as accurate a depiction of this beer as possible, and what better way to do that than drink some homebrew while I'm writing about it.

My third homebrew was probably the most simple, but it also stands as the favorite in my short homebrewing career. I decided to do an American Cream Ale at the behest of Lady Deana and we're both glad I did. Below is a description of the general guidelines I followed for what I eventually called my "Smooth Creaminal Ale".



Ingredients:
  • 3.3 of Light Malt Extract (LME) 
  • 2 lbs of Pilsen Dry Malt Extract (DME)
  • 1 lb of Corn Sugar
  • 1.25 oz of Williamette bittering Hops
  • 1 oz Williamette Hops for aroma
  • Sachet Dry Yeast
Basic Instructions:

  1. Boil 2.5 Gallons of Water. Turn heat off and stir in the LME. Return to Boil
  2. Add bittering hops
  3. After 40 minutes, add DME and Corn Sugar
  4. At 45 minute mark add the aroma hops and boil for 10 more minutes

Taste and Appearance:Smooth Creaminal Ale pours a gorgeous shade of gold with an epically fluffy head. The beer is pretty clean and clear and smells of sweet corn. On a summer day this beer goes down incredibly easy. There is a delicious sweet corn flavor and a velvety mouthfeel that is absolutely addictive. This is one time I'm glad I don't keg my homebrew because I could have really went through this stuff if I had it chilled and ready to go. It's a simple beer, but I think I'll be hard pressed to ever make something that is easier drinking.

Lessons Learned:

I didn't have the ability to at the time, but I've since purchased a second carboy and if I were to make this beer again I would definitely put this in a secondary just to clear it up a bit more and make it even more visually appealing. I also wouldn't drop a box of 12 bombers on the ground next time around. While I was bottle conditioning, I went down in the basement to spin the bottles around to ensure the yeast was awake and doing its job. While doing that I knocked another beer down. Instinctively, I grabbed for the falling bottle and at the same time forgot to hold on to the box I already had in my hands. Boom! I lost a beer or two, but those that survived the fall tended to taste a bit oxidized when I finally got around to drinking them. So, yeah, don't drop your bottles on the ground but do give an American Cream Ale a shot in your homebrew adventures. It's an easy drinker and a definite crowd pleaser.

3 comments:

  1. Do you always spin your bottles after filling them? I usually just let them be, and they carbonate up just fine. How long did you leave your beer in the primary for? You could also use Irish moss to clear things up a bit. Looks like a great beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually spin them after they sit for about a week. Nothing violent, just a little clockwise turn in the case. Does it help? I have no idea. I can't remember where I read to do that. Next time around, I'll leave them alone just to see if I notice any difference.

      And I left the beer sit in the primary for 2 weeks. Thanks for the Irish Moss recommendation. I've seen it mentioned a lot lately but never really knew what it was used for.

      Delete
  2. Continue the homebrewing tips! Thanks.I am waiting for your next tips.

    ReplyDelete