Monday, June 3, 2013

BBB Beer of the Week: Goose Island Sofie (2013)

It's been awhile since I've done a Beer of the Week so I wanted to make sure I stepped back in with a beer I was going to truly enjoy. I headed down to the cellar (it's a cellar when I store a beer, a basement for everything else) to peruse my options when I came across Goose Island Sofie. I didn't previously know very much about Miss Sofie, but after an extended conversation with her I think I'm ready to take our relationship to the next level. 



Style: Saison
ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 20

Appearance: The hazy straw color of Sofie seems very apt given that it's a Farmhouse Ale. Visually, you can't help but be reminded of the ingredients that came in off the farm or the people who made (and whom it was made for traditionally) this beer possible. Sofie is very effervescent with about a fingers worth of light bubbly head. I spotted quite a few yeasty floaters near the bottom of my glass, but as a homebrewer that type of stuff doesn't bother me at all.

Aroma: The aroma on this one was quite enticing. Initially you are hit with a tart presence that seems to permeate over everything but touches of lemon and a little bit of funky yeast can be found throughout. On the back end I found small hints of banana to round Sofie out.

Taste: You can definitely tell this is a Belgian style beer right away as the bubblegum yeast flavor makes it's presence known. I really enjoyed the mouth fell on this once as it was slightly tart, crisp and effervescent up front but quickly transitioned into a sweet and smooth finish.  Sofie was most unique in the way the flavors are layered. Typically, my experience with a beer's flavor profile seems to develop one feature after another. For example, you might notice the carbonation, followed by a floral hop hit, then by sweet malt, and finally ending up with a dry finish. With Sofie everything seemed to be going on at once. You might wonder if it was a muddled mess of flavors, but it was quite the opposite. I was able to pick up on the bubblegum and peppery notes in one area of my tongue, while simultaneously getting the tart, juicy, fruit flavor in another area. The layered flavor profile really made Sofie a fun beer to sip on.

Final Verdict: I would LOVE to find this beer magically appearing in my fridge once a day throughout the entire summer. This Goose Island Farmhouse Ale is super refreshing and works great as a summer time beer. If you've never had a night on the town with Sofie, be sure to hit her up. She's a good time and a girl you won't soon forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment