Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Kommie Pig

BBQ in a truck? BBQ in a truck tastes pretty damn good.
-Doug from Baltimore, Bistros, and Beer

I came across Kommie Pig during a food track gathering at Union Craft Brewery. There were quite a few trucks to pick from, but being that I was in the middle of re-reading Animal Farm I felt it was only appropriate to dine from Kommie Pig. Thank god for the coincidence, because this food was too good to pass up. I went with the ultimate BBQ trio when I decided on a half rack of ribs, potato salad, and baked beans. Deana went with the king of BBQ sandwiches and choose a pulled pork. 


The ribs were as good as I've ever had. The fact that they came from a truck kind of amazed me. It's not that I was expecting bad food, but I wasn't expecting top of the line either. The ribs were full of tender meat and slathered in a slightly spicy but tangy sauce. The beans weren't my favorite, but I enjoyed how they imparted a smokey flavor into them. However, the star of the show was the potato salad. Everyone I know thinks their Mom makes the best potato salad. Well, they won't be thinking that after they try what Kommie Pig has to offer. It was dressed in a simple mayonnaise based dressing and had just the right amount of vinegar tang and dill to make it a little more interesting than your average potato salad. Personally, I could have ate a solid pint of that stuff. 


Deana loved her pulled pork as well. The meat was tender and the portion was heaping. There is no need for a side with this sandwich, but let's be honest, with potato salad as good as this you'd be crazy to pass it up. The only thing either of us would want a little more of when it comes to the pulled pork was a little more bark mixed in. That's our favorite part and this could have definitely used a few bits thrown in to change up the texture of the sandwich bit. All in all, though, you'll be happy with this sandwich. 

I haven't tried as many of the local food trucks as I should have, but I can confirm that Kommie Pig isn't one you should pass on. The BBQ is delicious, the prices are good, and the guys working the truck are super friendly. I've seen them multiple times at Union Craft Brewery, but they can be found all throughout the city. Follow them on twitter to pin 'em down and get yourself some good 'que.

Price: Cheap for big portions
Recommendation: Find them on twitter and hunt them down
What to Order: Ribs and Potato Salad

Kommie Pig on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment